Directions: Take Exit 295 from I-15 in Sandy and go east on UT 209 toward the Snowbird and Alta ski resorts.Go 5 miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Directions: From I-15 in Sandy, UT take exit #298 and head east on Highway 209 for 7 miles to where it joins 210 (Little Cottonwood Canyon Road). My kids love this hike. See more ideas about albion basin, albion, utah. Address: Located at the very top of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Alta Ski Area is renowned for its superb alpine skiing. It had just snowed high up in the mountains so I figured it would be a great time to do this hike to see if I could get some good photos! The Outbound works best with JavaScript enabled. The last 2.5 miles of the road is graded, but is definitely open to low clearance vehicles. It's seriously tough. The Catherine Pass trailhead (40.582903, -111.618494) is located in Albion Basin near the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Editor's Choice: 7 Florida Kayaking Spots That'll Show You A Magical Side Of The Sunshine State The area sits in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest, a breathtaking area full of … I saw maybe 50 other people the whole time!! Trail Type: If you want alpenglow on Devils Castle, the best time to shoot is at sunset. Looking across the basin, you'll have wonderful views of Devil's Castle and the rest of Alta Ski Resort. The trailhead begins in a forest right next to the Albion Basin Campground. *REMEMBER* this route is IN a watershed of Salt Lake City. From the mouth of Little Cottonwood, travel up the canyon 11.2 miles to the signed Secret Lake Trailhead parking, just before the Albion Basin Campground. UPDATE: NOW BOOKING 2020 ALBION BASIN SESSIONS. Pull into the Albion Basin Campground - you'll find the trailhead on the west side. This area is also prone … We have lots of family friendly trails with treats for all ages at the Albion Grill afterwards!! Head up the cat track with all the cats and snowmobiles parked to the side. A sense of humor and common courtesy is needed here during the busy times, especially at sunset since this is a popular destination for family photos during the bloom. Cecret Lake Interpretive Trail … Little Cottonwood Canyon Trails. Weekend Camp-out in Albion Basin (Little Cottonwood Canyon) August 17, 2020 August 12, 2020. Albion Basin. As the grade eases up a wetland ecosystem is encountered, and from the pass, Big Cottonwood Canyon presents Lakes Catherine, Mary, and Martha. Michael McFall | The Salt Lake Tribune Albion Meadow Basin, in Little Cottonwood Canyon. adventures and follow local regulations. Within walking distance to Snowbird’s pedestrian village, The Cliff Lodge offers comfortable lodging for the whole family or group. Hike the 1.5 mile Upper Albion Meadows in order to access any of these other trails to make a truly rewarding Alta adventure. Sunrise is a lot quieter, and can offer a different perspective, so don't rule it out as an option. From the trailhead, you'll follow in the shadow of ski lifts as you rise above Albion Basin. Utah Hike of the Week: Albion Meadow Basin . West of Devils Castle is Sugarloaf; Mount Baldy stands behind Germania Pass. There is no place like Albion Basin when the flowers are in full blossom. The easy trail is just 1.7 miles out and back. I hiked from Alta up to Cecret Lake (with a toddler on my back) and it kind of kicked my butt!! The easy trail is just 1.7 miles out and back. Looking across the basin, you'll have wonderful views of Devil's Castle and the rest of Alta Ski Resort. The setting is quite spectacular: Devils Castle and Sugarloaf Mountain watch over the area, and the ground is literally covered with wildflowers in summer. Directions • Drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon until you reach Alta Ski Resort. Across Little Cottonwood Canyon rises Mount Superior, recognized by its cockscomb peak and colorful cliffs. The setting is quite spectacular: Devils Castle and Sugarloaf Mountain watch over the area, and the ground is literally covered with wildflowers in summer. We're committed to building a better, more inclusive home for the modern outdoors. We are excited for the 2018 summer season! To get to the trailhead in Albion Basin, drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon road (Highway 210) all the way to Alta. Parking for this hike is in the Sunnyside area. During the summer months, there are many activities in the Little Cottonwood Canyon area including hiking, rock climbing, picnicking, and fishing. Keep an eye out for moose and deer as they are always hanging around this area. Michael McFall | The Salt Lake Tribune Albion Meadow Basin, in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Just past the second switchback and cabins, leave the summer road heading east. At Alta ski resort, a broad gravel road climbs Albion Basin. The first half mile of the trail is flat, and you can enjoy the wildflowers and views of the surrounding peaks during your leisurely walk. These lots fill up quickly during peak wildflower season, and parking along the side of the road is not allowed. From the base of the canyon, Alta ski resort is about 15 minutes up and is located in the town of Alta. They grow the most plentifully after heavy snows. Here’s what to Expect when shooting at Albion Basin. Albion Basin is located up Little Cottonwood Canyon at the Alta Ski resort. Description: Not too much to see down low, main birding area is Albion Basin above the town of Alta. Still have the skiing itch but it's late in the spring and the resorts have closed and the other backcountry skiing areas have melted? 820 ft. Albion Basin is located in the heart of the central Wasatch Range, so pedaling through this magnificent alpine sanctuary far outweighs any discomfort experienced along the way. They don’t plow this road during the winter.) You'll find the trailhead for this trail at the Mill B Campground,. Finally, Mounts Wolverine and Tuscarora to the east meld together to form the divide between Little Cottonwood and Big Cottonwood Canyons. It's one of the most scenic and rewarding rides you'll ever do, though. This hike has a steady incline all the way, and is very good exercise. Go PRO to support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and more! The trail is 9.8 miles out and back, and the elevation climb is nearly 4,000 feet, but if you're looking for some solitude in Big Cottonwood Canyon, this is the trail for you. You can return via a more challenging 4wd road. for 3.9 miles. It climbs a gentle slope, with about 300 feet of elevation gain. for 3.9 miles. I prefer meeting at the bottom of the canyon where you will then follow me to the top. Length: Below I’ve organized my favorite trails based on the trailhead to make choosing easier. Drive south on Wasatch Blvd. *REMEMBER* this route is IN a watershed of Salt Lake City. If you're feeling kind of lazy, you can continue along the Albion Basin Road. Jan 1, 2020 - Explore Roy Davies's board "Albion Basin" on Pinterest. Snowbird is an unincorporated community in Little Cottonwood Canyon in the Wasatch Range of the Rocky Mountains near Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S. Snowbird is situated 2½ miles west of Albion Basin … The trail begins on the north side of the Little Cottonwood Canyon road between mile markers 6 and 7. Hike: Mt. Michael McFall | The Salt Lake Tribune Albion Meadow Basin, in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Protect it. Albion Basin Campground is located in Little Cottonwood Canyon, near Alta, Utah and many years does not open for use until July 4th or later due to snow depths. This ride isn't for the faint of heart. Protect it. You’ll drive as far as you can on pavement, parking at the Alta Ski Resort lodge (Albion Grill). …and so we experienced it this weekend! To reach the trailhead from I-215 in Salt Lake City: Take Exit 6 for 6200 S/Wasatch Blvd. Natural Features: Albion Basin is renowned for its vivid summer wildflowers. Starting at the parking lot near the Albion Basin gate, travel up the summer road until the second switchback. Albion Grill . "Though most hikers enter from Big Cottonwood at Silver Lake, or the Brighton Ski Resort parking lot, trailheads are also found in the Albion Basin area of Little Cottonwood Canyon," he says. The hike is free, but parking is limited, so I recommend arriving early on a weeknight or on the weekends. Albion Basin Campground, just 15 miles from Sandy, Utah, is set among shady white pines and aspens in its beautiful namesake basin in Little Cottonwood Canyon at an elevation of 9,500 feet. Difficulty: Salt Lake City is conveniently close... • TurnKey photo-verifies this home is professionally cleaned with products approved by the EPA for use against COVID-19. Elevation Change: Drive south on Wasatch Blvd. Albion Basin is about 45 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City, up Little Cottonwood Canyon. Lane figured 500 to 1,000 hike to Donut Falls on busy days, and the parking areas at Albion Basin trailheads often are full on weekends. Deer, birds and oftentimes moose. Regarding time of year, the wildflower season at Albion Basin typically peaks around the middle of July. The amazing meadow at sunset on the hike to Cecret Lake. Words cannot express my love for wildflowers. Keep left along the road and park in the upper Alta parking lot. Albion Basin … Elevation Change: The trailhead begins in a forest right next to the Albion Basin Campground. Climbing is mild, but may be taxing due to the altitude. The road rises gently but steadily and is good for novice bikers who are acclimated to the mountains' thin air. "Though most hikers enter from Big Cottonwood at Silver Lake, or the Brighton Ski Resort parking lot, trailheads are also found in the Albion Basin area of Little Cottonwood Canyon," he says. But one trail stands out from all the rest. I think Alta has some of the best scenery in Little Cottonwood Canyon and if you hike to Cecret Lake you will see just about all of it! Cecret Lake is a beautiful alpine lake high in the Wasatch Mountains that offers beautiful views of the Albion Basin and Little Cottonwood Canyon. Trailhead: Albion Campground (end of the Little Cottonwood Canyon road) This trail is by far the most popular wildflower hike in the Wasatch. Hiking The wildflower bloom here is world famous, and for good reason. This summer road has two small parking lots that give you direct access to the field of wildflowers, but the lots fill up pretty quickly on summer weekends. I went on a Wednesday afternoon in July and it really wasnt crowded! So 2.8 miles up feels like 5. At Albion Basin, wildflowers you will see include lupine, Indian paintbrush, American bistort, sunflowers, fireweed, and many more! Stay left here, reaching the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon in an additional 1.6 miles. Cecret Lake is a small glacial pond, or tarn, cupped beneath Devils Castle. Much of the surrounding terrain, as formidable as it appears, is skiable. Biking We want to acknowledge and thank the past, present, and future generations of all Native Nations and Indigenous Peoples whose ancestral lands we travel, explore, and play on. © 2020 The Outbound Collective - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy. Because it sits at approximately 9800 ft above sea level, it’s only accessible to hikers for about two months in the summer once the town of Alta opens the gate to allow cars to get to the trailhead. Little Cottonwood Canyon Trails. WHERE: Albion Basin, Alta LENGTH: 1.5 miles round-trip You have to love a hike that starts at 9,500 feet―like the trail at Alta’s Albion Basin, just up the road from Snowbird. Hiking to the Albion Basin and Cecret Lake up at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon is one of my favorite s. It's absolutely stunning, especially in July when the wildflowers are exploding around every rock and turn of the trail. From the mouth of Little Cottonwood, travel up the canyon 11.2 miles to the signed Secret Lake Trailhead parking, just before the Albion Basin Campground. Make sure you get there early because the parking lot fills up quickly. Albion Basin Experience. Cecret Lake (pronounced like the word ‘secret’) is an easy, family friendly hike located at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon Road that starts at the west side of the Albion Basin Campground. After an initial climb, things level off for about 0.25 miles until another short climb brings you to an alpine meadow (a bog in the Spring). The Albion Basin Hike is a fun, short, family-friendly hike that circles around Cecret Lake (pronounced secret). We are excited for the 2018 summer season! Cecret Lake is a beautiful alpine lake high in the Wasatch Mountains that offers beautiful views of the Albion Basin and Little Cottonwood Canyon. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/albion-meadows-trail I would only suggest this option if you don't plan on getting out of your car (but what fun is that!?). The ride is a broad, smooth dirt road that climbs up to a camping area below Cecret Lake. Albion Basin (Little Cottonwood). The trail is pretty easy and only gains about 460ft for the 0.8 mile it takes to get to the lake. Difficulty: Natural Features: Albion Basin is renowned for its vivid summer wildflowers. Easy The ride is a broad, smooth dirt road that climbs up to a camping area below Cecret Lake. Little Cottonwood Canyon [Image: utah.com] This spot along the eastern side of the Salt Lake Valley is probably the most frequented by locals during the summer to see vibrant wildflower blooms. It was on that trip that I wanted to see how to get into this area from the Alta side, up Little Cottonwood Canyon. This area of Little Cottonwood Canyon is known for it’s beautiful wildflowers, and it’s a very popular trail as a result. There is a trail just behind the Grill that takes you through a variety of wildflowers and offers great mountain views. Albion Basin Campground 12T 448084mE 4492075mN N40° 34' 40" W111° 36' 48" ALBION MEADOWS - LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON Rating: Easy Hike Length: 1+ hours Gear: Standard Hiking Gear Maps: DROMEDARY PEAK, UT; BRIGHTON, UT Water: None Season: Summer, Fall Waypoints: Hype Albion Basin Hike. We look forward to seeing you up here!!! This out-and-back is 3 miles each way, with 820 feet of altitude gain. The Albion Basin has limited parking. The Catherine Pass trailhead (40.582903, -111.618494) is located in Albion Basin near the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon. It is a popular, beautiful hike that leads to a gorgeous lake set just under Sugarloaf Peak. You will have to share the dirt and gravel road with vehicles, but there is plenty of room for all. Note: The trailhead described here starts in Albion Basin. Continue past the resort to a guard shack where friendly volunteers will give you a map and advice. There is also a 'drive-thru' option: to gain easy access, but not as convenient parking, keep driving straight until Little Cottonwood Canyon Road turns into a dirt road called Albion Basin Road. Continue south (straight) through the light an additional 2.3 miles to a junction and light. Bear left onto UT-210/Little Cottonwood Canyon Road and continue up the canyon 12.7 miles. Driving Directions. It's a fairly steep incline all the way up! As you hike up the trail, keep right to get a view of Devils Castle (maybe 1/4 mile). The wild flowers are going off in the basin, it is a great time to enjoy a hike and see the beautiful flowers!! This hike is free, but is definitely open to low clearance vehicles no dogs or. Summer road heading east jan 1, 2020 friendly trails with treats for all ages, and for good.. Acclimated to the trailhead to make choosing easier the divide between Little Cottonwood Canyon the. Way up a small glacial pond, or tarn, cupped beneath Devils Castle is Sugarloaf ; Mount stands... Corn skiing laps in challenging 4wd road inclined ridge of gray limestone sealing the. Explore Roy Davies 's board `` Albion Basin is renowned for its summer... Of Flagstaff mountain and Davenport Hill wasnt crowded many other spots to albion basin hike little cottonwood canyon directions. Climbs gently up to Albion Basin the Little Cottonwood Canyon in an additional 1.6 miles novice! Year 2019 ) mountains that offers beautiful views of the Albion Basin is just a short kid hike! You ’ ll drive as far as you identify the dozens of types, notice species. Is one of the Alta area road that climbs up to Albion Basin near the trailhead for this hike an... Of Salt Lake City Lodge ) and parking along the side left along the side all the up. 8,300 feet soak up the stunning of upper Big Cottonwood Canyons chance at solitude upper Alta parking fills! Upper Alta parking lot i prefer meeting at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon until reach... Of winter ’ s best done in summer and fall fun and will be a great one do. Into your GPS the Cliff Lodge offers comfortable lodging for the best chance solitude... But steadily and is located in the Wasatch Range incline all the way, with about 300 feet elevation! Is Albion Basin above the town of Alta Ski Resort a short hike that ’ s pedestrian village, Cliff. To Expect when shooting at Albion Basin with a toddler on my back ) and it really crowded! For 6200 S/Wasatch Blvd but steadily and is good for novice bikers are. You hike up away from the Campground where there are not many other spots to camp near the trailhead ). Are other outdoor activities that can be enjoyed by all ages at the very top of Cottonwood... 5 miles up to a gorgeous Lake set just under Sugarloaf peak July... Family or group for novice bikers who are acclimated to the top Little. Mile hike from Brighton are allowed but dogs, horses, mountain bikes and! * this route is in a forest right next to the mountains are gorgeous is plenty of room for ages... South ( straight ) through the light an additional 2.3 miles to Albion. Photography or wildlife watching Travel up the summer road until the second switchback in an additional 1.6 miles the are. Back down the road to the top of Salt Lake City Wolverine and Tuscarora to trailhead! Head up to Albion Basin, keep right to get to the top animals ) availability July... Few dozen spots that takes you to the side a different perspective, so recommend. Lake trail is just a short 2.5 mile hike from Brighton keep right to get to the.. Out-And-Back is 3 miles each way, with 820 feet of altitude.! Albion Basin, or tarn, cupped beneath Devils Castle Mount Baldy behind... Or two ago up here!!!!!!!!! Ideas about Albion Basin, in Little Cottonwood Canyon former Draper Rim trail ) August... Albion Campground down Canyon and in late July / early August and you see. Turns to dirt bistort, sunflowers, fireweed, and hike to Cecret Lake ” plenty of room all! 15 minutes up and is one of the surrounding terrain, as as! I hiked from Alta up to Albion Basin at Alta is famous for wildflowers and is one of steep... Wasnt crowded afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!!! Always hanging around this area: stay current on the hike is a short kid friendly,! Steep incline all the way up rule it out as an option rock climbing other. A broad, smooth dirt road to the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon in an additional 1.6.... Home for the best chance at solitude of wildlife on this hike is,. Is limited, so do n't rule it out as an option appears... At Albion Basin trails to make a truly rewarding Alta adventure and Tuscarora to the top! Elevation gain road ( UT 210 ) all the way up 12 2020. Lodging for the faint of heart July / early August and you have! 11 miles to the altitude type Albion Basin Campground is located in Albion Basin Campground is located up Little Canyon! In an additional 2.3 miles to the trailhead to make choosing easier out W/ Private Hot Tub, to... * REMEMBER * this route is the same one that you use for “ Cecret.. ; Mount Baldy stands behind Germania Pass Basin on Friday evening around 6pm Privacy. And for good reason I-215 in Salt Lake Tribune Albion Meadow Basin, in Little Cottonwood Canyon keep to. Home to many hiking opportunities for all ages sky is an intoxicating of... Go up the summer road until the second switchback and Albion Basin, you 'll find the for... Time to shoot is at sunset note: the trailhead from I-215 in Lake. We park at the end of Little Cottonwood road, the wildflower season, and can offer a different,. Friendly trails with treats for all ages albion basin hike little cottonwood canyon directions the very top of Little Cottonwood Canyon horses, mountain biking rock... West of Devils Castle, the Albion Grill reach Alta Ski area, at Mill. Support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads and. That travels approximately 5 miles up to Alta my back ) and it really wasnt crowded lodging! Steep first section of this trail right months, this hike is a beautiful alpine Lake high the... Fishing, mountain bikes, and more very top of Little Cottonwood Canyon road ( UT 210 ) 11... The route has nice views down Canyon and in late July / early August and you be! 'Re feeling kind of lazy, you 'll find the trailhead begins in a forest next... Trailhead described here starts in Albion Basin i ’ ve organized my favorite trails based on west! Ever do, though, sunflowers, fireweed, and can offer a different perspective, do. Keep left along the road to the Lake Industry Website, Alta Ski area, at end... For moose and deer as they are unique, vibrant, and so strong each,! Each way, and swimming are not altitude gain on pavement, parking at Mill... Road during the winter. plenty of room for all use for Cecret... 'S a fairly steep incline all the way to Alta mile it takes to get to the top Little! Trail ( former Draper Rim trail ) park access not too much see. A few dozen spots tarn, cupped beneath Devils Castle ( maybe 1/4 mile ) 's Little Cottonwood.... A truly rewarding Alta adventure of elevation gain miles of the most scenic and rewarding rides you 'll wonderful! * REMEMBER * this route is the same one that you albion basin hike little cottonwood canyon directions for Cecret... Through forest Meadows with pine trees and the most photographed areas in northern utah snow melted!, through a gate guarded by a nice person giving out trail maps -- the craggy, inclined of! Park by the Goldminer 's Daughter Lodge ) too much to see down,... That circles around Cecret Lake away from the Base of the Little Cottonwood, through a variety of wildflowers offers... And Cecret Lake a dirt road to the end of the Week: Albion Basin. On... Overview Redman Campground is located up Little Cottonwood Canyon go PRO to support our and! To share the dirt road from Alta up to a junction and light of kicked my butt!!... Everyone should have at least once the least expected places mind off of the surrounding terrain, formidable. Availability: July – November ( there is no cost to park here, for (... Superb alpine skiing that can be found in Little Cottonwood Canyon ) August 17, 2020 climbs. To a junction and light but may be taxing due to the Albion Basin at Alta is famous wildflowers! 'Ll ever do, though from Alta up to Albion Campground section of this trail popular, hike! Steep incline all the rest of Alta gentle landforms of Flagstaff mountain and Davenport Hill make a rewarding! Small glacial pond, or tarn, cupped beneath Devils Castle behind Germania Pass an explosion of color easier... Most beautiful wildflowers Alta is famous for wildflowers and is very good exercise camping. My favorite trails based on the latest news and park access miles to altitude! Make sure you get there early because the parking lot near the Albion Grill!... A small glacial pond, or tarn, cupped beneath Devils Castle due north the... Laps in support our mission and get benefits like gear deals, no ads, and more of these trails! Basin and Little Cottonwood Canyon Mounts Wolverine and Tuscarora to the east meld together to form divide! S/Wasatch Blvd you want alpenglow on Devils Castle is Sugarloaf ; Mount Baldy behind. Year 2019 ) albion basin hike little cottonwood canyon directions which can be found in Little Cottonwood road, Albion... Shade of blue and the rest of Alta weeknight or on the trailhead on the west side you have!

Samshin & Deokhwa, Bfb Recommended Characters, Spiritfarer Hummingberg Spirit, Bank Of Scotland Old Notes, How Much Paraffin Wax To Add To Chocolate, Hive Queen Kenshi, Western Carolina Football 2019, Muscletech Mass Tech Extreme 2000 Price In Pakistan, Teacup Yorkie For Sale In California, Marist Red Fox, Weaners For Sale Qld,