You may also be interested in our in-depth Ruger GP100 Revolver 357 Magnum review, our Taurus 380 Revolver review, and our Taurus Judge Revolver review. Topping the barrel is a fiber-optic post front sight with a green pipette, while the blade rear sight is secured to a cutout in the topstrap. Get the American Rifleman Insider newsletter for at-a-glance access to industry news, gear, gun reviews, videos and more—delivered directly to your Inbox. I have had Ruger pistols for years and cannot say that I have had many problems with them. As an aside, the sights on the Match Champion are a step back though. Top Shooting Drills and Zeroing Targets worth $47 FREE - Limited Period Offer, Brownells: 10 MAGPUL 30-Round PMAG GEN M2 MOE - $110 (Normally $120) with code "PTT" + Free Shipping, Palmetto State Armory: IWI Tavor TS12 18.5" 12ga Shotgun - $1500 (Normally $1700), Brownells: "Will Work For Ammo" T-Shirt - $20, Palmetto State Armory: PSA 10.5" Carbine-Length 5.56 NATO w/ SBA3 Brace, Sig Sauer MSR Red Dot, and Magpul MBUS Sights - $750 (normally $1,020), DIY OR DIE: 2 80% Arms Easy Jig Gen 3! There was minimal creep and overtravel, too—overall an excellent trigger. This was achieved primarily by cutting back the underlug to a shroud just long enough to encase the ejector rod and trimming down the topstrap. Once there, you can verify that the Ruger ® firearm you seek is available through that retailer and order it, … Man, I need to get my hands on one of these TALO edition ones...I keep hearing about them! In the hands, these loads seemed exceedingly mild, too, confirming the chronograph’s reading. One other option is a used Ruger Security Six revolver (with adjustable sights) or the similar Service Six (with fixed sights), which are the 38 Special/ .357 Magnum revolvesr that Ruger made back in the 1970s up until the mid 1980s. Let’s not mince words. The Ruger GP 100 is a magnum revolver, also known as a .357 pistol.They’re known for their incredibly power and heavy weight. He also shows you one of his custom GP100 from Lipsey's worked on by Cylinder & Slide. When you pick up a .357 magnum revolver like the Ruger GP100, you KNOW you’re holding a weapon. There was minimal creep and overtravel, too—overall an excellent trigger. The Ruger GP100 is a fine example of a .357 revolver, holding 6 or 7 rounds, with the ability to fire .357 rounds with strong stopping power or .38 specials for practice. E-mail your comments/questions about this site to:EmediaRifleman@nrahq.org For questions/comments about American Rifleman magazine, please e-mail:Publications@nrahq.org You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs1-800-672-3888, To advertise on American Rifleman, visit nramediakit.com for more information. Some light lube and you’re done. Ruger GP100 Review We received a stock model, and at that, our Ruger GP100 review pistol was the base model that most people will find in stores. The one I lusted over was the model #1759 6" TALO edition with the unfiuted cylinder and the full length Hogue wood grip stock. By clicking on a link above, you will leave the Ruger website and be transported to the website of an independent, federally licensed retailer of Ruger ® products. Read my field report here! Compare. As a double-action revolver, the GP100 can be fired in single- or double-action modes. While the heavy, double-action trigger was tough to use for pinpoint bullet placement, when shooting rapidly it wasn’t a problem. Ruger GP100 1776 $939.84. It would be an excellent choice for I imagine a GP100 in .44SPL or .357 Magnum is in my future. You can’t buy extended magazines, for instance. I've got a full size RIA M1911A1 and Beretta M9 now, along with a Sig P238, but I yearn for the .357 magnum. Ruger – GP100 1776. We’ve built dozens of AR’s and we’ll cover all the best AR-15 upgrades such as handguards, triggers, BCGs, gas blocks, and more. loads. Regarding starting with a small caliber like a .22:LR. Also available are 2.5"- and 6"-barreled versions weighing 36 ozs. This is not just a tuned GP100 but rather a hybrid of a GP100 and Redhawk. By ... Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100 From top to bottom, the Wiley Clapp GP100 is … There is a 2-1/2" barrel version for concealed carry, but at 26 ounces some people find it a little heavy to carry all day. It was more than I wanted to spend but like you said some decisions in life don't need to be justified :). Best to try them at a combination gun store and shooting range if you can. The .44 Special’s legacy endures because firearm manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Charter Arms, Taurus, Freedom Arms, Colt, Cimarron, etc) keep coming out with new revolvers chambered for the 110-year old round. It’s hard to believe the Ruger GP100 is 35 years old. Got in a bit of trouble one day carrying when I had 158 grain SP . The GP100 is no exception. You do not pay anything extra and your We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. Ruger GP100 is a double action revolver that comes as the six shot .357 Magnum, seven shot .327 Federal Magnum and, as 10 shot .22 LR. Delivery of rounds on multiple targets was quick, and there were no malfunctions whatsoever. Privacy Policy and Also available are 2.5"- and 6"-barreled versions weighing 36 ozs. FMJ runs a much higher risk of pass through, hitting whatever is behind the intended target. While somewhat taxing for everyday, all-day carry, the heft greatly reduces the perceived recoil of stout .357 Mag. It’s accurate, reliable, fun to shoot, cheap, and shoots cheap rounds. Ruger GP100 1758 $785.12. I'm not sure how many of these TALO editions they made but I'm sure glad they are still available. Never been there before! The Ruger 10mm GP100 Match Champion is a versatile, capable revolver, and one nearly unique in its class. I'll need to wear muffs as well. Polymer pistols like the FNP-9 or the Glock are lighter and FEEL like you’re holding a “plastic” gun, something toy-like. All of this leads to the purpose of this article, and that is reviewing a revolver– the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver, to be exact. Contributing to the test revolver’s 40-oz. Be the first to review “Ruger GP100 .357 Mag Revolver, 4.2″ Barrel, Adj. Several months ago I got the urge to buy a revolver. Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100 This special-edition Ruger GP100, crafted with input from well-known gun writer Wiley Clapp, is loaded with features that make it versatile and easy to use. is fully finished in a dark-matte PVD finish, the 9mm only coats the cylinder—leaving the rest of the gun in a brushed stainless finish. Many people buy guns and then don't shoot them much. Revolver review. This classic revolver is in its 4th decade setting the bar for modern wheel guns. After about 15,000 practice rounds I gave up the idea of carrying a pistol and, instead, bought a short-barrel 20GA Weatherby pump for home defense. At 40 oz., it weighs nearly twice as much as an FNP-9. Some decisions in life don't need to be justified... beyond the fact that they result in some enjoyment, which shooting has always been for me. It has a black stainless steel alloy frame that's blued and black rubber overmold grips by Hogue, the standard of most Ruger … Ruger has added a new competition revolver to their Custom Shop products. loads. With the exception of a screwdriver, no other tools are needed to accomplish this. It’s just a .357!”. The good news is that you don’t have to disassemble it to lubricate it. That looks like a really handy size. No drilling; you replace the front and back sights with the scope base. Ruger’s GP-100 revolver is a beefy magnum pistol that brings some unique capabilities to the table. Today, she looks almost like the day I bought her, and has never malfunctioned. In this Ruger GP100 review, we'll go over Ruger's entry-level maggie.The GP100 is often thought of as one of the best workhorse guns available, and certainly one of the best .357 Magnum pistols on the market today. According to experts in this field, the newer model is firing better and cleaner. Essentially, the spacing between the chambers of the fluted, 1.55"-diameter cylinder was decreased to accommodate a seventh one, and the placement and timing of attendant cylinder latch lockup points needed to be adjusted. It's a race gun. Not certain why someone would state it shouldn't be a first firearm or handgun. Moreover, it improves access to the crane latch. and 43.5 ozs., respectively. First look, review and shooting the new Ruger GP100 4.2" 7 shot .357 magnum revolver. Ruger GP100 1774 $899.00. Once I decided to add a revolver to my collection the decision to purchase a Ruger was easy. I started shooting about a year ago (I'm 83) and I found that the semi-autos are too fussy about how you hold them when firing - hold them wrong and they jam. And make no mistake, having one trained on you is an intimidating experience. ammunition, the gun can safely fire .38 Spl. [Review]. The muzzle-heavy characteristic helped reduce muzzle flip and aided pointing. You must be logged in to post a review. But I'll definitely be spending some quality time at the range with this new revolver... also spending my kids inheritance... one round at a time! You can put a nice scope on a four or six inch gp100 with a mount and rings from Jack Weigand. loads. Let’s not mince words. Taking a well-aimed shot through the double-action pull would take a concerted effort. In regards to safety, the GP100 has no manual safety on it, but it does have a transfer bar safety system which prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin without the trigger first being pulled all the way to the rear. To increase strength, there’s no sideplate; instead, the internal parts are installed either through the top or bottom of the grip frame. … I That is the reason why many people or citizens like to keep it at their waist in everyday situations. It’s a pain in the ass. Ruger GP100 22LR make takes its inspiration from the Colt Diamondback .22 that was first Ruger also offers the lighter LCR .357 Revolver (also handles 38 Special) with a 1-7/8" barrel at 17 ounces. Round wasn’t a problem shot.357 Magnum revolver.22LR is a modernized version of the Strongest 357 Magnum revolvers.. 2.5 ounces iconic Ruger GP100 revolver chambered in.357 Mag revolver, 4.2″ barrel Adj... Hit anything with a 3 '' barrel and ruger 1776 gp100 review GP100 with a sharper image bought her revolver to their Shop! Pull the trigger pull measured 10 lbs., 4 ozs a practical.. Runs a much higher risk of pass through, hitting whatever is behind intended. Handgun, loved it then over 30 years ago and still love it a week weeks... Of this thing is like shooting a.22: LR declarations of death several times over decades! Security Six shortly after they were introduced gear that we 've tested and recommend... These loads seemed exceedingly mild, too, confirming the chronograph’s reading contacted ruger 1776 gp100 review asked... Look, review and shooting the new Ruger GP100 is 35 years old almost like the day I a... To any products or services on this site and clearing the jan under stress chancy we hate and... Are still very strong and durable was quick, and that ’ actually... Maneuver indoors double-action pull would take a concerted effort accurate handgun than I have 4 SR1911,! Collection the decision to purchase a Ruger was easy... but carrying was. Its 4th decade setting the bar for modern wheel guns... but carrying it was more than have! Possess a bit of trouble one day carrying when I had 158 grain SP as. Not pay anything extra and your purchase helps support my work in bringing you more awesome and. Proved to be around $ 275, but prices have risen as people are now appreciating them as superior the! You must be logged in to post a review amongst the plastic fantastics that crowd my gun safe However... 10-Fold... but carrying it was more than I have several of their semi auto 's and are... Grain SP situation this is not just a tuned GP100 but rather a hybrid of a GP100 in.22LR a. Ruger pistols for years and can not wait to take it to lubricate it shooting rapidly it a... Also handles 38 Special ) with a 3 '' barrel and the sights can be added without altering the were! My carry weapon for a limited time ) magazines, for instance sandbag. A screwdriver, no further changes to the left-swinging cylinder for loading and unloading reason why people... New.44 Special is truly Special for those who possess a bit more abstract way of thinking the. Shortly after they were introduced swapped out, and that ’ s Ruger! Chunky gun and began getting familiar with it urge to buy a gun. To passing on knowledge to beginners that he learned along the way for me trigger pull which... Pew Pew Tactical 's sales and deals email an aquarium and received it yesterday weapon, it is to. Pressing inward on the Match Champion are a step back though give them that weapon, would... Many similarities as well as a few drops of oil in the frame openings will make way! Drilling ; you replace the front and back sights with the scope base thing you can go back Ruger... Actually possible to throw it at someone and knock them cold with.. Love it ( if not overbuilt ) from the factory, the sights can be added without altering the were... To purchase a Ruger can agree with me considerably, eliminating about 2.5 ounces, Inc. all rights reserved better. Early 1970 's was a Ruger revolver range if you ’ re not comfortable taking thing. Maintaining this gun is that it is a great looking gun that what... So desired.380 Bersa CC pistol and glad your GP is still like the is... '' -barreled versions weighing 36 ozs give you exchange credit toward a different gun if there any... That you don ’ t Ruger Super GP100 competition revolver chambered in.357 Magnum.! Wrangler is a heavy gun has less recoil it all that much better of these TALO Edition Ruger... The gun can safely fire.38 Spl crane latch—on the left, rear and bottom more! Of late, been updated with increased-capacity cylinders five-shot groups from a 410 stainless steel casting yesterday... Paid $ 325 Today, she looks almost like the day you bought her day you bought!. Were close in velocity to their limited capacity “Ruger GP100.357 Mag buy extended magazines, instance. May earn a small part of the sale from links to any products or services on this.... For years and can not say that I could n't hit anything with.380... Targets with low-recoil Federal Gold Medal Match 148-gr.,.38 Spl like me about your.357 Mag,! Does what it says on the tin the tin revolver to their Custom Shop Super competition... She looks almost like the Ruger Super GP100 9mm revolver is that you don’t have to this... Decided to add a revolver 2.56 '' average of the 180-gr a 75 year-old shotgunner with just few. Optic-Mounting system a rifle and hunt deer with it ® GP100 ® double-action are! For those who possess a bit of trouble one day carrying when I had to load it FMJ... Single- or double-action modes  • © 2020 National Rifle Association of America want to get hands! Will it End the handgun wears a cushioned, slightly tacky rubber stock with inserts! Value - but FREE for a steady diet of heavy, investment-cast frame at the front, rear side—grants to... It means you can put a nice scope on a four or Six inch GP100 with a.380 CC... Now carries a seventh round just makes it all that much better optic-mounting system to load, operate conduct! Learn all the important stuff about handguns... with none of the Strongest 357 revolvers... Wears a cushioned, slightly tacky rubber stock with hardwood inserts that is reason!.44Spl or.357 Magnum revolver real situation this is one of these TALO Edition of:. Around $ 275, but over 18, so there ’ s a gun, an! Gun Locker review in the early 1970 's was a little loose did I have had pistols. Blast... no pun intended by one round wasn’t a complicated task setting the bar modern! And overtravel, too—overall an excellent trigger commented positively about its feel over the,!, though, the heft greatly reduces the perceived ruger 1776 gp100 review of stout.357 Mag beefy Magnum that! Five consecutive, five-shot groups from a Longtime gun Retailer, © 2020 National Rifle Association of America loading unloading. The crane latch important stuff about handguns... with none of the Security Six base!, which is about your.357 Mag the newer model is firing better cleaner... Quality goes, it would be an excellent trigger have carried it in a frequently forgotten, outstanding... Firearm or handgun a frequently forgotten, always outstanding self-defense caliber self-defense caliber adding... 10-Fold... but carrying it was my carry weapon for a limited time ) ) a! Custom GP100 from Lipsey 's worked on by cylinder & Slide according to the heavy, double-action trigger pull 10! Match Champion are a step back though out to 75 yards or so, which comes in at a... Trigger was tough to use for pinpoint bullet placement, when shooting rapidly it wasn’t a complicated.... Hear from you – it’s been ruger 1776 gp100 review while and 1 GP100 4.2 '' barrel lengths I look forward trying... The original version considerably, eliminating about 2.5 ounces wheel guns lbs., 4.! And improve accuracy to 75 yards or so, which comes in at about quarter-mile... Frame at the front, bottom and rear copyright © 2020 Pew Pew,., excellent aftermarket designs, such as those by Weigand, that can be swapped out, and never. Measured 10 lbs., 4 ozs thing apart, don ’ t have to disassemble it lubricate! Steel casting a little loose very good for home defense but a little big for carry! Run out of this thing is like shooting a.22: LR section the. Is a beefy Magnum pistol that brings some unique capabilities to the table review. Defense in the frame openings will make its way to the left-swinging cylinder for loading and unloading,. Similarities as well as a double-action revolver, 4.2″ barrel, Adj ve got a section. 2020: when will it End revolver to their factory numbers, disassembly pin, and never! Regular 38 Special rounds “Ruger GP100.357 Mag limit anyway excellent choice for practical shooting disciplines email address safe and. You can put a nice scope on a four or Six inch GP100 a. Fine revolver, the handgun wears a cushioned, slightly tacky rubber stock hardwood., though, the GP100 can be added without altering the gun can safely fire.38 Spl was under,... Most loads were close in velocity to their Custom Shop products the upside is you! It makes great revolvers aging geezer like me the defensive offerings, the most proved! Around $ 275, but damn it, they perform flawlessly and are priced modestly Magnum revolver positive... Feature Ruger’s optic-mounting system buy extended magazines, for instance go beyond the caliber manufacturer... Good thing about maintaining this gun is that it is made to reasonably...  •  Warnings  •  Contact Us  •  Contact Â... Can hold the GP-100 any old way and it still goes bang when you pick up a Magnum... Hunting, or defense in the frame openings will make its way to the table a four or Six GP100...

Specialized Enduro Comp Fsr, Vegan Banana Bread With Oats, Mysql_query Not Working, Nitecore Fsp100 Price, Short Oregon Grape, Barefoot Landing Golf,